September 18, 2012
EPIC – designed to support small companies and start-ups
EP is delighted to announce a major new initiative – the launch of a partnership between a number of like-minded organisations and individuals who have come together to work with small companies seeking to grow, as well as new start-ups. It is also able to help those entrepreneurial businesses that simply need expertise to support change. The working title for this development is the Entrepreneurs Innovation Centre (EPIC).
EPIC offers support that includes business planning, routes to investment, expert analysis, developing business partnerships with larger companies, routes to market or finding the right expertise to support growth. This is a potentially important new development, which sees EP act as a link in the hospitality market between established businesses helping the small and new.
After four years of recession, the world has changed and new questions are being asked of all businesses. It is still very difficult to gain support from the traditional financial institutions and yet companies need help – real active help – not just words. EPIC will work to provide new solutions.
Endorsing the initiative, Martin Couchman, Deputy Chief Executive, British Hospitality Association said:
“It is vital that we encourage more small businesses to grow and prosper in difficult times to drive job creation. The EP Entrepreneurs Innovation Centre has been established to deliver this, and the BHA is delighted to support the initiative.”
The story so far:
- Six large organisations are already working informally with EPIC and looking at new ideas.
- Four small companies are open to investing in new concepts are involved.
- One company – Get Smarter Energy Ltd – will dedicate a percentage of their profits generated from the hospitality industry back into new ethical or sustainable focused concepts.
- Twelve business angels have stated their interest in looking at investment opportunities.
- Law firms and accountancy practices have offered supporting roles.
So who is involved in EPIC?
It is a team that includes:
- The EP team
- YUZA – a leading mobile technology company.
- Three experienced finance directors
- Two chairman
- Two CEOs
- Eight non-executive directors
- Two banks
EPIC is about bringing experience gained over decades to work with the young in a time of change. It is important to marry the two so the young and new are able to find their own roads through hazardous territory.
This is a period of change and EPIC is helping lead that change.