Here’s what we’ll be doing on your behalf in 2015:
- The development of a robust skills agenda to ensure this industry is able to attract the right people to achieve our growth potential
- The need for enlightened employment legislation that does not jeopardise industry growth/ jobs
- Price competitiveness. UK VAT at 20% means we are not operating on a level playing field with the rest of the world. Join the Cut Tourism VAT Campaign, which asks government to make the UK more competitive in Europe with a lower tourism tax
- The UK is failing to gain our fair share of business and holiday visitors from new markets like China and Russia and visa policies need to continue to be improved
- Managing our industry’s reputation on food sourcing, security and health matters
- The need for a more efficient planning process, which encourages rather than restricts further development
The tourism and hospitality industry has huge amounts of potential, already employing 1 in 10 of the UK workforce and it has been predicted that the sector will grow at an annual rate of almost 4% over the next 10 years, significantly faster than forecasts for the UK economy as a whole and much faster than sectors such as manufacturing, construction and retail. The British Hospitality Association is very proud to be the voice of the hospitality & tourism industry in the UK.