Welcome to Mr Thomas’s Chop House – described by The New York Times as “probably Manchester’s most venerable pub” and intended by us to be definitely Manchester’s most welcoming pub.
This site on Cross Street was originally occupied by a Georgian Town House, hence its long, slim shape. Mr Thomas Studd, who also gave his name to the premises, first opened it as a public house and restaurant in 1870.
Like the coffee house, the alehouse, the boarding house and others, the chophouse is a British institution dating back to the origins of modern commercial trading in the sixteenth century.
Chop house were originally places where businessmen dined and conducted their affairs over hearty plates of traditionally cooked meats, frequently grilled and washed down with fine wines or well-kept local beers. No change there then.