Win a once-in-a-lifetime chef’s tour of Japan
Your chance to be one of seven up-and-coming chefs selected for the ‘Seven Samurai Chef Tour’
Advance your skills – learn from the experts – experience the cooking first-hand
- Travel to Japan to meet and learn from some of country’s top chefs
- Visit local food markets, eat in authentic local restaurants and see great food products made first-hand
- Competition open to chefs with two years’ experience in a hotel or restaurant
- Win the chance to create an in-flight menu for Japan’s only 5-star airline – ANA
- Unique trip worth £5,000
A culinary Arts Tour of Japan
The British Hospitality Association (BHA) and All Nippon Airways (ANA) are looking for Britain’s brightest up-and-coming chefs to take part in Seven Samurai Chef Tour – a unique culinary tour of Japan.
The competition is offering seven chefs the chance to travel to Japan and visit the great culinary capital cities of Tokyo, Toba, Osaka and Kyoto.
An exciting itinerary packed full of learning about Japan and Japanese food is waiting for the lucky winners.
And one of the Samurai Chefs will be awarded the opportunity to collaborate with ANA’s award-winning catering team to create a light meal for its Winter 2016 Business Class in-flight menu on ANA’s London – Tokyo route.
The UK’s growing affinity with the country’s cuisine and culture is reflected in the increasing number of Japanese restaurants in the UK. There is also a growing interest in the skills and techniques needed to deliver cutting-edge Japanese-influenced food with all its elegance and creative presentation.
The Japanese diet, rich in seafood, fish and vegetables is also attracting more and more attention for its health benefits and its impact on human longevity.
We want this thrilling educational programme to inspire our chefs to incorporate the new techniques and ingredients into restaurant and hotel menus across the UK.
The competition seeks out the most promising chefs in the industry who want to develop their experience and knowledge of Japanese food.
It’s very simple to enter – we don’t need entrants to send in long presentations or essays – it’s all about the quality of ideas, simply expressed in up to 100 words.
The Amazing Prize
- A culinary tour of Japan in January 2016: Tokyo, Osaka, Toba and Kyoto.
- The 7-day itinerary including a visit to the world’s largest food markets, masterclasses with award-winning chefs, meals in authentic local restaurants talks and tours on food production and the culinary arts.
- A huge value boost to your career as a chef
- Design new dish for ANA, Business Class
- Media opportunities
- Send in a photo of your signature dish.
- Respond to the following statement in 100 words or less: “How could learning about Japanese culinary arts influence your own chef skills?”
- Chefs can be nominated by head chefs or enter with their supervisor's permission.
- Include the email address, name and contact number for your head chef or HR contact.
- You will also need an endorsement from the head chef or your supervisor. This can be written or submitted as a short video. They will also have to outline the applicant’s potential to embrace and incorporate Japanese culinary techniques and cuisine into their work.
- You must be available to travel from Sunday January 17 – Sunday January 24.
Yutaka Ito, All Nippon Airways
David Loewi, D&D London - Chair of Judges
Ufi Ibrahim, BHA
Kyung Cho, Harro Foods
Hideki Maeda, Head Chef , Nobu
Akira Takahata, Miki Travel
Yuki Gomi, Yuki’s Kitchen
Sarah Bridge, Mail on Sunday
Bill Knott, food writer
ANA - All Nippon Airways
Prince Hotels and Resorts
Digital and social media
Campaign hashtag: #7SamuraiChefs
*note full T&Cs apply - click HERE