Forget the sun cream, magazines and guide books. More than 10,000 travellers across 13 countries worldwide confirm the must-have item for a summer holiday is a smartphone as revealed by new research by IHG®.
According to the research by IHG® Rewards Club, nearly 40% of global travellers agree that their smartphone is the most important item to take on holiday - with over half (56%) of UK travellers surveyed revealing they will use it every single day. As a result, 1 in 10 travellers clock an impressive average of 70 hours online while on holiday - almost 20% of the actual time spent on a two week holiday.
The top ten uses of smartphones by British holidaymakers are:
- Checking work emails – 68%
- Navigation / Maps – 67%
- Texting – 64%
- Taking holiday photos – 51%
- Making calls – 34%
- Playing games – 30%
- Updating Facebook / Twitter – 30%
- Snapping pictures of meals – 28%
- Skype-ing friends/family – 28%
- Taking selfies – 16%
The research also revealed:
- Two thirds of Brits turn to technology to avoid getting lost on holiday, choosing to be guided by smartphones over a traditional map.
- Technology is fast replacing the classic postcard with 67% of respondents saying they use it to text friends and another 28% to Skype loved ones back home, while away.
- A third of Brits stay connected to home by using social media every day, so much so that it’s the last thing they do before sleep.
- Two fifths of Brits say planning the holiday is the best part, with more than a third (34%) spending over a day researching their trip
Susanna Freer-Epstein, Senior Vice President Customer Loyalty Marketing, IHG said: “IHG is a brand and consumer driven company. We use insight to anticipate consumer trends and behaviour. This research shows how mobile technology is revolutionising the holiday experience – from enabling travellers to dream about and plan their holidays, to helping enjoy the trip itself and share their experiences with their friends and family.”
Infographics source: InterContinental® Hotels Group (IHG®)